Saturday, October 24, 2009

Redbox: Vending Obligations?

I've had a lot of fun with various Redbox units around town. (For those of you unfamiliar with it, it's a vending machine typically outside of a store with high-traffic, like a Walmart or grocery store. You pay $1 to rent a DVD for a night, then a dollar every night until you return it.)

Okay, so typically my Redbox has 9-15 pages of 15 DVDs per page... so usually 100+ titles.

The Redbox unit doesn't know who I am when I walk up to it, so it can't make me a recommendation. It just shows the DVDs in whatever ordered it's instructed to show.

However, once I return a DVD, and if I press buttons right after, there's a pretty good chance that the person touching the screen (in this case me) is the one who rented the DVD.

Now, the box can't make assumptions whether I liked it or not. It'd be really awesome if it gave me a 5-star rating system when I returned the title. For example, when I am ready to return it, I press "return DVD" then it asks "How would you rank this rental?" then once the DVD is returned, it records it to my profile.

But, for the sake of what's happening now, it has my rentals "linked" in its system. So, it could, if it chooses, display DVDs it thinks I may like at the HEAD of the pages, and not randomly.

Now, this is my moral question. If the system could know which DVD I would like most, should it put it on page 1, 2, or 3? I typically look at the first 3-5 pages of listings (30-50 titles).

If it put a DVD up that I might like, but in no hurry to watch, it could make $2-$3 on the rental (taking 2-3 days to return) instead of the $1 it would make it I wanted to watch it ASAP (because I'd return it the next day).

Would the device be obligated to make the proper recommendation? And who judges proper?

Just some thoughts.

1 comment:

  1. Dave,
    I think as a marketing move it would be better to put your best pick on page 2 or 3. That way you would have a chance to impulse buy a few movies on the way to your best pick.
    If the machine cared about you at all, it would put your movie first on the list.
    As to the question of proper, what is proper is a question that is answered by each persons soul. What is proper for you wouldn't be proper for the guy standing next to you.
    So, the question is what is more important, love or money?

    ReplyDelete